PRINCIPAL STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
JOB ID: F36037
LOCATION: Lagos, Lagos , Nigeria
Shell companies have been finding and producing oil and gas around the world for over a century. Today, we have interests in exploration and production ventures in more than 80 countries and employ approximately 90,000 people.
This is a technically challenging work environment characterised by a continuing need for research, the pursuit of new technology, and the adoption of new ways of working. It demands people who will thrive in a culture that encourages and rewards innovation, collaboration and the ability to learn from success as well as failure.
Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. It is capable of producing an average of over one million barrels of oil equivalent per day. The company’s operations are concentrated in the Niger Delta and adjoining shallow offshore areas where it operates in an oil mining lease area of around 30,000 square kilometres.
The Principal Structural Engineer will be responsible for carrying out in-place,transportation and installation analyses and design of topside structures for existing assets. He / She will prepare scope of work for all topside inspection works and carry-out and carry out re-assessment of such structures to ensure structural integrity.
In particular,the Principal Structural Engineer’s accountabilities include:
• Perform structural engineering analyses and design for topsides structural modules in major projects development from the conceptual,FEED,detail engineering and the construction stage.
• Provide structural engineering support to the SNEPCo Asset engineering in order to maximise asset production performance at lowest unit cost
• Undertake front-end engineering studies,as required,to identify and develop performance improvement changes
• Ensure that all proposed modifications allow safe operation of facilities and maintain technical integrity
• Participate in design reviews,audits and other structural-related reviews
• Accountable for work executed by design contractor producing the FEED and Detailed Design of the topside structures,including the multi discipline drawings and procurement and fabrication specifications for the systems.
• Accountable for ensuring that the engineering work is completed and verified in accordance with the project quality procedures.
• Contribute to the development of the procurement and construction contracts for the topsides structures.
• – Engage with project discipline lead engineers for electrical,instrumentation,controls,rotating equipment,materials,HSE/ HFE (Human Factor Engrg) and quality to ensure that that the topside structural design is compatible and integrated with the overall design and is endorsed by the respective discipline leads.
• Play a leading role within own discipline in assigned project team and delivering on promises (e.g. project schedule,cost,and quality,specification,designs,hardware,functionality within HSE,cost). Scope would include concept selection through execution phases of the projects.
• Responding to significant cost pressures in both project delivery and SNEPCo business while helping to create a new,sustainable organization.
• The applicant should have a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Marine Engineering or Naval architcture and 8-12 years of experience working in the area of offshore oil & gas development including 5 years of FPSO related engineering experience.
• Skill in the following areas is required: analysis and design of steel structures, structural dynamics and fatigue, finite element analysis, material selection, corrosion prevention, dynamic analysis of floating systems, hydrodynamics, loading in wind, waves and current, structural dynamics and fatigue, risk and reliability, project planning and economics.
• Proven, broad knowledge of deepwater floating systems design, fabrication, installation, commissioning and operation with depth in FPSO (Floating Systems & Storage) systems.
• Solid background in all aspects of oil/gas project execution including design, procurement, fabrication, installation, commissioning, and start-up.
• A strong commitment and demonstrable effectiveness in HSSE management is essential.
• Strong interest in hands-on technical evaluation, estimation of cost, design, construction and installation of offshore facilities.
• Coaching, mentoring, and motivating others to be successful.
• Global mindset and perspective. Ability to work and manage in a diverse, multi-cultural environment. Very good team player.
• Knowledge of interface needs/issues with Development Planning and subsurface groups.
• Knowledge of key external stakeholders’ needs and business drivers, including economic, political, environmental, and social issues.
• High personal energy level and a proven track record in achieving stretching personal and business goals
• Excellent Communication skills
• Working knowledge of the following software: are required: SACS, ANSYS. Knowledge of USFOS and COSMOS will be an advantage.